The Blurt Blog Art ContestPosted: September 2, 2011
It is time for a major change to Blurt. It will still be the place to be if you feel the need to read some of the words that have to come out of me. I just need to change the look of the place you go to read those words.
I hired a decorator a few months ago who pushed me into a blog background template a little more garish than what I had. I just was not a fan of what I ended up with.
So I hired a master of blog feng shui. He began guiding me toward a more balanced look. He helped rid me of the loud color scheme I had, then he sent me out to wax his car.
When I came back inside, he pointed to the picture I had on my page header, the photo of me in a kayak. He asked “what does this have to do with anything?” I couldn’t answer. It had nothing to do with why I write or why you keep showing up here to read.
“The spirit of the blog must radiate from the top of the page”, he said, “radiant spirit illuminates the words of the blog.”
I wondered aloud about what the spirit of the blog was. Master Miyagi said that to find the spirit I should go to the people.
Takin’ It To The Streets
The feng shui master sort of left me hanging. I wondered what he meant about finding the spirit by going to the people. He refused to answer me.
Actually, he didn’t so much refuse as demand an additional $1200. I opted out of the contract at that point.
So now I come to you all for help. The feng shui master has left Blurt without a header picture. I want you to help fix that.
Art Contest! Art Contest!
I’m having an art contest. Perhaps you saw that coming.
I am looking for the best artistic representation of what this blog is about. The winner will appear in the header of Blurt and receive other valuable prizes, including The Grandest Prize Of Them All.
Before I reveal The Grandest Prize Of Them All, a few ground rules:
- The goal is to find a graphic representation of Blurt and/or the spirit of this website. Paint it, draw it, whatever. Just remember that I will need it digitally photographed or scanned to put it up on the blog. Statues are probably not a good choice. Well…maybe they are, if you can photograph them when you’re done. I think I’ve beaten rule one to death, how about you? Let’s move on.
- Don’t get me into copyright hassles. If I had the cash to pay copyright attorneys, I’d have put more money into The Grandest Prize Of Them All, even though I’m sure you’ll agree it is pretty much the grandest.
- I’m not sure yet how judging will be done.
- Anyone can enter. Some really talented people read this blog. They are eligible. Some people who lack artistic talent read this blog. They are eligible. A stick figure cartoon could win this. So could the next version of the Sistine Chapel, or a picture of a statue you made. Statues of pictures automatically lose. I hate those.
- I will display all the entries on Blurt. I will link your entry back to your blog or whatever site you want. Alright, pretty much any site.
- The winning entry will be the header on Blurt for a long time. I don’t know if that’s a long time in dog years or on Pluto. Not the dog, Pluto. Pluto the maybe, maybe not planet.
- Since the header is sort of narrow and likely will only show a sliver of the winning creation, I will display the entire work on my about page, with links back to the winner’s site. If you don’t have a site for me to link to, you are still eligible.
- Rule 8 is just here to emphasize rule 4. Artists of all skill level are eligible.
- A song would work too. I’d find a way.
- Please let me know you’d like to enter by making a comment on this post. If you want to comment and not enter, that is cool too.
The Grandest Prize Of Them All
Now, friends, comes the announcement of The Grandest Prize Of Them All.
Do you know what it is like to buy a Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush? I do. I bought it for you. I was in a drug store on an errand, saw the Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush and bought it on impulse. I thought I’d use it here somehow, and I was right.
Do you know the look a cashier gives a middle aged man buying AA batteries and a Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush? I do, but I don’t know if I can put it into words. I knew I’d get that look but I bought it anyhow. For you. Because I love you all.
Return the love. Enter the contest. Don’t be shy.
I bought a Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush, I wasn’t shy.
Humiliated, but not shy.